Cavities – one of the most common dental problems, some people are more prone to developing them than others. Why is this and what can you do about it? Learn everything you need to know about this routine oral health issue from your premier dentist in Livonia, MI. In this post, the team at Livonia Dental Group shares their expertise on how to protect your teeth and keep your smile healthy and shining bright.
Why Do I Get Cavities So Easily?
Our team of trusted experts explains that there are many reasons why some patients are more prone to dental caries (cavities) than others. You could be at increased risk for the following reasons:
- High Sugar, High Carb Diet – Everyone knows that sugar causes tooth decay and enamel damage, so it’s best to limit foods high in sugar and carbs. And, stay away from sweetened beverages like sodas, fruit juices, and energy drinks – these bathe your teeth in sugar with every sip.
- Dry Mouth – Saliva not only makes swallowing easier, it also remineralizes your teeth. Due to genetics or health conditions like diabetes, some people don’t have enough of this essential dental lubricant to protect teeth. Having a dry mouth can cause cavities.
- Tooth Shape – Some teeth are irregularly shaped or have deep crevices that are perfect for catching food particles. When food breaks down in these areas, it combines with oral bacteria. It creates acid that erodes your enamel and causes cavities. Because of their shape, most cavities show up in the molars in the back of your mouth.
- Ethnic Background– Research shows that African Americans are at greater risk for cavities due to a genetic variant. This is because the saliva in this population lacks an essential protein that protects against bacteria in the mouth. Without this protein, germs thrive and eat through tooth enamel, producing carious teeth.
- GERD – Eating a diet that’s filled with acidic foods, or having acid reflux disorder or frequent vomiting, can wear your teeth out and make you more likely to get cavities.
What Can I Do If I’m Prone To Getting Cavities?
Our practice recommends the strategies below to increase oral health if you get cavities easily:
- 2×2 – Brush gently twice a day, for two minutes – and floss while you’re at it. Your oral care regimen at home is crucial to preventing carious teeth.
- Eat Healthy – Eliminate sugar in every form, and enjoy low-carb snacks and veggies. Stick to water as your beverage of choice, and say cheese, since this treat increases the remineralizing power of your saliva. If you still have a sweet tooth, try using stevia instead.
- Sugarless Gum – Brushing after lunch is not an option for many people. Instead, chew sugar-free gum with Xylitol, since this sweetener helps prevent cavities.
- Mouthrinses for Dry Mouth – If you have dry mouth from a health condition, family history, or taking certain medications, try over-the-counter mouthrinses that keep your mouth hydrated or talk with your family dentist Livonia, MI about prescription treatment options.
- See Your Dentist – If you’re prone to cavities, you should visit your dentist at least twice a year, if not more often. For people like you, professional oral care means the difference between saving your smile or losing your teeth.
Now that you know why you’re so prone to cavities and what you can do about it, schedule your appointment with the team at Livonia Dental Group – they’ll keep your teeth cavity-free!